About this Document
You can obtain further information regarding the APPs and your privacy rights at the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) at www.oaic.gov.au.
Personal or sensitive information we collect
We may collect personal information that you have supplied to us such as your name, age, date of birth, address, and other contact details. We may also collect sensitive information from you with your consent (in specific circumstances).
The type of information we may collect depends on your dealings with us and may include:
- Name, contact details, address details;
- Identification information – e.g. your tax file number, date of birth, driver’s licence;
- Employment information – e.g. current and historical;
- Financial information – e.g. bank accounts, shareholdings, loans;
- Business information – e.g. accounting records and tax information;
- Financial circumstances – e.g. assets and liabilities, credit reporting, income, expenditure, insurance, superannuation; and
- Information provided to us via client surveys.
If you submit information to us either using an electronic form or application or by sending an email, we collect that information and use it for the purposes that you have provided it. For example, if you send us an email requesting information on one of our services, we will use the information to respond to your enquiry. Your details will not be used to add to a general mailing list, or to advertise to you, without your prior consent.
Collection and use
We may collect personal information from you or from third parties by:
- Having face-to-face meetings and telephone discussions with you;
- Asking you to complete client questionnaires;
- You using our website and interacting with our social media sites;
- You communicating with us through correspondence – e.g. phone, email, client portals;
- Conferring with third parties such as financiers or the Australian Taxation Office on your behalf;
- Requesting information from a publicly available source.
We collect personal information from you to be able to provide you with the services you have requested us to provide or for other reasons including:
- Providing professional services in the fulfilment of our contractual and other regulatory obligations;
- Maintaining tax and related records;
- Communicating on relevant matters such as changes in taxation laws;
- Providing you with advice in the areas of taxation or other advisory services;
- Preparing tax returns and financial accounts;
- Providing information to authorities such as the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) or in accordance with law or a court or tribunal;
- Assessing the suitability of employment or suitability of contractors;
- Liaising with third parties on your behalf such as financial institutions, government organisations, and insurance;
- Nexis training and quality improvement purposes including analysing record keeping and communications between you and us;
- Promotional and marketing purposes pertaining to Nexis Accountants including training and events and periodic emails;
- Personalising your experience;
- Improving our website and services;
- Administering a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature;
- Advertising our services and products to you through the Google Ads Display network and/or the Facebook Ads network, using remarketing. This may be facilitated using a Pixel (or related tool provided by the network) to anonymously connect our website to their platform, or via providing the network with a encrypted identifier.
We collect information about you each time you come to any part of our website. We also collect information regarding the last site you visited before coming to our website. This information is collected for statistical analysis to continually improve our services and website and no attempt is made by us to identify the user.
Note: If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email.
Our website uses Google Analytics, a service that transmits website traffic data to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage.
To improve the user experience of this website and help ensure that our content is relevant, we use Fullstory and Hotjar to provide anonymised information about how you use our site. This includes the pages you look at and how the mouse interacts with the page. More information can be found on the FullStory website – external and Hotjar website – external. You can opt out of Hotjar directly here. You can opt out of Fullstory here.
Residents in the European Union and United Kingdom
If you are a resident of the EU or UK, you have certain rights in relation to your personal information. Nexis Accountants complies with these rights in dealing with your personal information.
Where applicable, and unless otherwise provided in the GDPR, you have the following rights:
- to be informed of how we may use your personal information;
- to request access to your personal information (noting that we may require you to prove your identity before providing the information);
- to have any errors, inaccuracies or incomplete personal information about you rectified;
- to request that we delete your personal information. This will be done unless we need to retain such information to comply with legal obligations or to establish, exercise or defend legal claims;
- to request a restriction on our processing of your personal information;
- to obtain from us personal information we hold about you for transmission to yourself, or for portability purposes;
- to object to your personal information being used; and
- to withdraw your consent at any time for us to process your personal information. This includes opting out of any marketing messages that you may receive from us.
To exercise any of the above rights in relation to your personal information, please contact us using the contact information in the complaints and inquiries section of this policy below.
We may disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- To enable you to access and use our services and in turn, provide our services to you;
- To provide you with direct marketing materials that may be of interest to you such as articles or product brochures or correspondence from our business partners;
- For purposes that you consent to such disclosure or for a related purpose where you would reasonably expect such disclosure; and
- Any circumstance otherwise authorised by the APPs and/or the Privacy Act.
We will only use sensitive information for the primary purpose it was obtained for or for a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose (or where otherwise required by law).
We may disclose your personal and sensitive information to trusted third parties, including the following entities:
- Our representatives, advisers, employees, dealers, agents and related bodies corporate;
- third-party suppliers and service providers such as the providers for the operation of our website or business services;
- The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to meet ongoing compliance;
- The Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) on request to meet ongoing compliance, mandatory professional standards and other legal obligations;
- Specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by us; and
- As required by law or directed by legal decision/process;
- Any industry body, tribunal, court or otherwise connected with any complaint regarding our services.
In some of the situations outlined above, the disclosure may be to parties located overseas. This may be the case where data servers are located off-shore, or where we have staff, agents or international service providers physically located outside Australia and disclosures are made for the purposes of completing our services to you.
We take our security obligations seriously and your personal information is regarded as confidential and may be held in both hard copy and/or electronic versions. We will take all reasonable steps to safeguard your information so that it is not misused, lost, modified, accessed by unauthorised persons or disclosed without authorisation.
As responsible data custodians, we are familiar with the requirements of the Notifiable Data Breaches scheme and are committed to responding to data breaches in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act. We will notify the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner and you, if there is unauthorised access to, unauthorised disclosure of, or loss of, personal information held by us and the access, disclosure or loss, is likely to result in serious harm to any of the individuals to whom the information relates in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Accessing, updating and correcting your personal and sensitive information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, please provide us with a request in writing to the contact details listed below. Depending upon the complexity of the request, we will endeavour to respond to you within four weeks of receiving your request. We reserve the right to charge a fee for searching for, and providing access to, your information on a per-request basis. Where we cannot provide you with access to all of your personal information, we will provide you with reasons why. We may also require your identity to be verified when you send in your request and prior to sending any substantive response.
If at any time you believe that information we hold about you is incomplete, inaccurate, irrelevant, misleading or not up-to-date, please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to correct the information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Complaints and inquiries
Att: Practice Delivery Manager
Ground Floor, 103 Northbourne Avenue, TURNER ACT 2612
02 6264 8000
Please make sure to include your name and return contact details with any inquiry.
We will endeavour to respond to your complaint or inquiry within a reasonable period from when it is received.
If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint or inquiry you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) at www.oaic.gov.au.
Updated Policy Effective: 1 JUNE 2023
Get in touch with Nexis
Talk to our friendly team today about all your tax needs.