What the ATO has to say about Christmas parties and client gifts

December 5, 2017

Christmas time comes with parties, food, gifts, food, parties and more food. All that entertaining can become pretty taxing, not only for your belly, but for your wallet, especially when the entertainment is for clients and staff. Luckily, some expenses are exempt from fringe benefits tax (FBT).

When the ATO talks about entertainment, they mean providing food drink or recreation (golf, movie tickets, or a harbour cruise), providing accommodation, or reimbursing expenses. When providing food and drink to employees or clients in the name of entertainment, tax exemptions can sometimes be made. We’ve done the research and found the top resources for you to figure out if some of those expenses are free from tax obligations at tax time. 

Your Link to Growth

A long time vision for us, Your Link to Growth reflects our approach and aspirations to assist our clients, staff and community to reach their goals. We do this through holistic and innovative financial solutions for businesses and individuals. Founded in 2004, we are a well established business based in Canberra and Brisbane.

Learn more about Nexis

Get in touch with Nexis

Talk to our friendly team today about all your tax needs.

Other news

Go the Monaro Panthers FC!!!

Nexis are proudly sponsoring the community league players of the Monaro Panthers again. This includes all teams from under 12’s to under 18’s. Monaro Panthers is a premier league football club based in Queanbeyan that has been running since 1967. We feel very...

read more